Tuesday, August 1, 2006

The Acorn People

     'The Acorn People' by Ron Jones, is a book I finished reading last night.  The original copyright date is 1976.  Only 79 pages and that includes several double pages of art.  Quick and easy read!

    The book is about a guy who is a camp counselor one summer, expecting kids that can somewhat take care of themselves. What he gets is a group of kids with special needs (handicapped, so says the book).  This apparently is the summer his life changes.  Set in a camp where it is pre-IDEA, it relates the struggles and accomplishments of both campers and counselors.

     The brief couple of paragraphs that describe the author, Ron Jones, says he founded the Zephyros Educational Exchange in San Francisco in 1972.  This exchange a non-profit organization for parents, artists and teachers.  After a very brief search, I found no information on the Internet.  Has anyone ever heard of it and does it still exist??  If you have any information, please let me know!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, haven't read your journal for days... well, was on my own mission... lots of food for thought.  Never heard of the Jones camp...But it sure sounds interesting.
You're back to work... alas... it was about this time of year we first got acquainted... finishing summer and going back to work.

Was the time of year I hated the most when I was teaching... the starting over.  reorganizing.  I liked teaching when it was rolling along and I was relating to kids... but didn't like all the record keeping.  still have nightmares about it.  wake up thinking I have reports due, and then sigh and realize... I am retired. whew

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I want to say I remember this book.  Was there a child called Acrid, because he smelled?  (I'm serious... it was a side effect of his disability.)  If it's the same book, we read it in seventh grade.

Abe

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard about him either... if I do find something I will let you know! bea