Saturday, December 29, 2007

The soldier and his wedding ring

The soldier was wearing two wedding rings. He took them both off. One was newer, meant as a replacement at some point. The one he received many years ago at his wedding is worn thin from years of constant wear.

He looked me in the eye, holding up the older, thinner ring, and said, "This ring saved my life."

Me: "That thin ring saved your life?" (Always doubtful.... I should have been from Missouri, the 'show me' state)

Yep.... Turns out, he was scheduled to go on patrol one night. Another soldier, not married, was looking at his ring and said, "Louis, you're the only married man in this platoon. I'm going on patrol for you tonight." He never came back... breathing, that is. He was killed that night.

This soldier was in WWII in the Pacific. The soldier with the wedding ring is in his late 80's and is the father of a very good friend. This was the story he told on Christmas morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice story. I would hold onto that ring, too. He never forgot how lucky he was, nor his debt of gratitude.

Anonymous said...

It actually brings tears to my eyes, and I don't even know why.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Sadness and gladness combined. Very good. Helen

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that the older ring is significant in two ways, love and honor.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

what a great story:)

Deb