Saturday, December 31, 2005

The New Year's Pledges

Well people, it's that time of the year again.  Call it what you want, resoultions, pledges, promises, etc., it's all the same.  On the last day of the year, we take a good, hard look at ourselves during the past 364 (or 365 if it's been Leap Year).  What is it we have not liked about ourselves and what are we going to do to change those things? 

 New Year's Day can be a new beginning, I guess.  Most people seem to put losing weight on their list.  (Yeah....... right after the football games and all the chips/dip and buffalo wings w/ ranch or bleu cheese and beer you can scarf down.) 

Next on the list is excerise.  Dang, we all know you have to do it.  You can even get mad at your trainer, machines, and friends that promised to be your buddy in this adventure, but yet always seem to cop out on you.  Doesn't matter.  It's a habit you have to get into. 

I used to have drinking/smoking on my lists at one time.  I gave up smoking on day in the summer about 8 years ago.  A waste of money and a crutch.  Have I wanted another one?  hhhhmmm... rarely.... maybe once or twice in that.  Now, it makes me want to puke.....   I still have a drink every once in a while, but not often.  I don't get sh*t-f*c*d; I'm to old and out of practice for that and to be honest, it's not pretty. I remember seeing a girl at a party about 10 years ago sick as dawg. She wasn't pretty during that time when her boyfriend was holding her hair while she <you know> and then the crying afterward.  OMG!  If you ever want to stop drinking, my advice is to be sober and watch someone do those things.  <advice: if you really want to quit drinking, just imagine you in their place... not pretty... it's enough to make you change>           I guess those are my true success stories.  But, as a disclaimer to this whole entry: Not done because of a pledge to myself on the first day of the year.

If I have to make a pledge, promise or resolution to myself, it's this:  Be the best, fair, kind, honest, yet stand up for your beliefs type of person I can be.  Acknowledge those people around you that make your life livable, fun, true.  Give a pat on the back when earned and a kick in the rump when needed.  Also, expect the same in return. 

Never fear, if you screw up Lent is right around the corner.  Take your confessions to Father Ray. He has a magic way of making you feel ok with it.  Maybe by the end of the 40 days, it'll have become a habit. 

I hope you have a wonderful 2006!

3.gif

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry.  Puts those resolutions in perspective perfectly.  And is inspiring too. Fantastic.

Anonymous said...

you are so kind. Wonderful