Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Customer Service: Is that not taught anymore?

I worked retail for many, many years.  One of the things that was always preached was customer service!  Smile, acknowledge the customer, be helpful, assist as needed, etc. 

I stopped by Kroger's to pick up a couple of things in case I had to throw a dish together for some function.  I shopped, got in check-out line, and put my things on conveyor belt.  The guy just started checking my items...... WHILE he proceeded to have a conversation with the bagger about time off at Christmas.  Never said hello or acknowledged me in any way.  Their conversation lasted the whole time he was checking me out.  Finally pay time and I want a little extra cash. I run the debit card through (debit cards machines are a whole 'nother entry!!), do the pin number, wait and then the next step is different than all the others (of course).  It just says, is this amt ok or do you want cash?  There was no clear button for cash, they looked like the same button. (their conversation is continuing.....) and I click a button.  OF COURSE, it's the WRONG button!!  And the checker rather moaned, eyes rollin' in his head, says, 'Ma'am, you cancelled it!!!'.... Conversation with bagger continues.... I go through the debit routine again, just pressed anything to get out of there so I don't have to hear the whining of the bagger about his right to have off days. Finally the sale goes through, and the bagger is finished as well.  He is stalking off  to find some soul who he thinks should be sympathetic and cares if he gets his days off.  Neither said, 'Thank you, Do you need help out to the car, Have a good day, etc....  This is why I do not go shopping at Christmas time..... And, another reason I don't work retail!! 

I went to the car, loaded it, and on the way home listened to the Vega Boys singing 'Sex on the Beach' as well as Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet singing 'Five O' Clock Somewhere'.  Another place, another time of year, and more fun stuff to do!! 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, customer service seems to be something that exists in name only. The one good thing about this lack of ability is that when you DO come across someone who remembers what it's supposed to be all about, you appreciate it all the more. I just wrote Pathmark a letter about a very, very helpful young woman, and how she went above and beyond. I happen to know they get a little reward for letters written about them, so I was careful to get her name for the letter!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I feel it goes beyond the concept of customer service, but that really we've seen a serious decline in etiquette and manners. That's the true problem, I feel!
With peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

years ago, when checkers looked at price and placed item on conveyor, one checker was giving my grocieries a good thump or a casual toss. I said, "Pardon me, that is just more merchandise to you, but it is my dinner.  Please don't toss it."
 The checker stopped and glared at me, and thump went the package.
  Without a word I walked out. Voiding and restocking was her problem.
  My problem was I had to go to another market and do the complete shopping all over again. But it may have been worth it.
  By the way, a printed copy of ths entry mailed to Krogers might help in the future. They hate negative publicity. I'll be glad to do it for you. Just say the word.

Anonymous said...

ggrrrrr,,thats quite a burden -

Anonymous said...

I JUST PRINTED THIS ENTRY AND AM GOING TO PUT IT BY THE TIMECLOCK AT MY STORE.  AS I AM SURE YOU KNOW BECAUSE YOU STOP BY MY JOURNAL OFTEN IS THAT I AM A STORE MANAGER AND MY BIGGEST ISSUE IS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.  WHEN I HEAR OR SEE MY ASSOCIATES NOT GIVING A CUSTOMER THEIR FULL ATTENTION THEY ARE SPOKEN TO AND I ALWAYS STATE HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WERE THAT CUSTOMER AND HAD TO LISTEN TO THAT CONVERSATION.  THAT CUSTOMER IS THE REASON YOU GET YOUR HOURS TO EARN A PAYCHECK.  THEY DO NOT LIKE ME VERY MUCH AFTER THAT BUT WHEN THEIR HOURS GET CUT BACK DUE TO LACK OF SALES THEY SEEM TO UNDERSTAND ME A LITTL BIT MORE.