Friday, December 9, 2005

The Spirit of Christmas

   The kids I teach are ages 15-21 and have a child's mind within the body of an adult.  This can be difficult for those who have never been exposed to this population.  After the shock wears off, most find these kids to be fun, humorous, easy-going, and unconditional with their love.  This is the most fun anyone can have and still get paid! 

Tonight I went to a Christmas party at the sheltered workshop where many adult people with mental retardation work.  What excitement in the air!!  For some of the employees that work there, especially the older ones, this will be the only Christmas they will have.  They were excited!!  Presents to open, bags filled with favorite treats, socks, hats, gloves, mugs, trinkets of all kinds brought rounds of laughing and excitement!!  How easy to satisfy these simple people!  They do not realize the difference between the price of  a squishy ball and a diamond ring!  In fact, most of them had rather have the squishy ball!!  How refreshing it is to be able to satisfy someone with so little.....   For me, tonight brought back the true meaning Christmas.... It's not how much, big, expensive or perfect the present, it's the simplistic gifts that bring the brightest spots of happiness!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to read entries like this. Bringing back Christmas should be the next big Quest around here.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

SO TRUE ABOUT THE LITTLE THINGS.  I HAVE A GROUP THAT COME INTO MY STORE TO WORK ON MONDAYS AND WEDNESDAYS AND THEY ARE FOR AN ORGANIZATION CALLED THE GUILD.  THEY ARE MOSTLY DISABLED ADULTS BUT THEY ARE WONDERFUL WORKERS AND I LOOK FOWARD TO SEEING THEM.  THEY ARE HELPFUL AND BRING JOY TO MY LIFE.  I ALWAYS WANTED TO WORK WITH PEOPLE THAT NEED ASSISTANCE BUT NEVER REALLY KNEW WHAT WAS NEEDED TO GET INTO THE FIELD.  I HAVE A DISABLED NEPHEW AND I KNOW HOW MUCH HE NEEDS THE PEOPLE THAT HELP HIM AND HOW GREAT THEY ARE AND WISH I COULD BE LIKE THEM.