Sunday, November 20, 2005

2nd Annual Invention Convention

   Friday in my classroom was the big event of fall for some of my kids.  It was the '2nd Annual Invention Convention'....  We had a variety of entries....  For example:  Alabama Plane, Auburn Plane, Speedster Plane, Steam roller, Mark Martin race car, Magic Trick, the Yin Yang Project (3 guys worked on that one), and a Camera, TV and Microphone.

   Each person (or group) had to demonstrate or explain about their invention.  The planes flew, the steam roller and race car worked,  the magic trick was a hoot and the project from the 3 kids was well organized, well presented, the kids were well spoken and the camera, tv and microphone needed a lot of imagination, but made with the excitement only a teacher can dream of!  Each entry won first place in their 'category' (can you believe that? hehe) 

  Let's talk about the camera, tv and microphone.... This invention won the award for BEST USE OF TAPE.  This kid loves to invent things. Last hear he made a 'Wheelchair Telephone'.  All of his projects consist of at least one main ingredient.  Tape.  Somehow, he can get anything to hold together with tape.  The invention this year had a wooden door stop taped to the side!!  Other parts used were boxes, paper, plastic cups and who knows what else!

  The only disappointment I felt about the 2nd AIC is no girls participated this year (I got into trouble for making participation a requirement last year, thanks to all those parents that live within a box with their little closed minds that get smaller and smaller with each breath of air they take in... but hey, the ring leader parent's kid didn't waste any time making something other day the minute he learned there was a prize involved..). 

  Last night I was chatting with a friend about life's goals and such.  I was asked what my goals were for the year 2010.  I can add to the typical list I gave to my friend.  I am adding to that list this: Hosting the 6th Annual Invention Convention!   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure write well.  I enjoy that convention right along with you. What a gift you are giving these kids... imagination, invention, creativity. You are a fantastic teacher.  Makes me proud I was one, too.

Anonymous said...

Makes me proud I was a teacher...not I was a fantastic one. LOL