Friday, February 22, 2008

The True Story of Charlie

First, I'd like to thank Mary for arranging the surprise birthday 'party' for Charlie! I truly enjoyed reading each and every comment left by all of you.

I've not really told many people here in J-Land about Charlie, but I've decided to share a few things about him today.

He was the most perfect child for me! Even though he had so many medical issues, his personality shone through the darkest hour. The smiles you saw in his pictures are truly the way he was during  his whole life... never seeing 'color' or wealth (or lack of it...).  He was friendly and loving with everyone he met. One day while we were at the local Barnes & Noble, he chased down a man, wheeling his miniature wheelchair just up to the man. The man would move away, Charlie would move closer. No, he would not hear of leaving this poor guy alone. Finally, I told this man if he would please just shake his hand, Charlie would be satisfied. Surprised, the man shook Charlie's hand. Smiling as if he had found the cure for cancer, Charlie turned the tiny wheelchair around and left him alone. I've often wondered if the man ever thinks of that moment.

He was born with spina bifida, had to have a shunt, a paraplegic, was MR, and at 4 years old, had a Wilm's Tumor diagnosed and had to have chemo. He had 24 surgeries and was hospitalized 28 times. He was the bravest person I've ever known. At birth, I was told he probably would never live past six months. He lived to be fourteen and a half. His body just simply shut down.

Reflecting on all he had to endure, I think he did excellent! Our life together was not perfect by any means. Due to his disabilities, the two of use were forced to live extremely simple. We had all we needed and I always tried to make sure Charlie had all he wanted. Even his wants were simple. A hamburger and milk from McDonald's or Krystal, watching Andy Griffith, Price is Right, In the Heat of the Night or his favorite, Jeopardy or going for a ride after I got home from work. 

During his last six months, I watched him both develop into being his own person,  and yet, watching his little body (only about 40 - 45 pounds) deteriorate at the same time. I will always be grateful for having had him as the one person, besides my parents, that influenced me the most. The work I presently do now is because of having had Charlie in my life. I've often wondered what my life would have been like if I had not had him and I don't think I would enjoy it as much as I do now.

Again, thank all of you for helping me celebrate his life!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very moving story that I was not aware of. I'm sure that Charlie's daily care was a burden to you in every way, but the rewards are also very apparent. God Bless Charlie and God bless you !

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for Sharing Charlie with us!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Charlie with us. Barb

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your and Charlie's life with us. It came across my mind when I read the last entry if that was what led you into the job you do today. Seems like I was right. May God bless you for the work you have chosen to do. I am sure there are many children who have loved you and been helped by you over the years. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

I knew I was going to be teary when I saw this title....I wasn't wrong.    What a heartwarming story you have, and I'm glad you shared it with me.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful remembrance of your son.
I missed Mary's 'party', but wanted to send belated birthday wishes, and now also to say Thank you, for sharing a glimpse of such a special soul.
Kathi

Anonymous said...

This was quite a lovely tribute to your son.  Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Lori

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing Charlie with us; I came by way of your journal through Mary's surprise party (I love how you put it) and I put your journal on alerts so I could follow it

Charlie seemed like a wonderful young man!

betty

Anonymous said...

I was very touched by your sharing these lovely moments you had with Charlie.  I'm sure the gentleman will remember his handshake with him always.  
I for one will now remember Charlie because of your love for him when describing what he meant to you, as well as his mischievous humourous wheelchair chase which you just described above.
He certainly taught us all one thing...smile and the world smiles with you.
Hugs
Jeanie xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie,
I'm so sorry I missed Charlie's birthday.  Happy 'Belated' Birthday!
I loved the Barnes & Noble story, and I bet that man often recalls his experience with Charlie.  A person can't be touched by an angel and not remember it!
Love ya',
Sue

Anonymous said...

P.S.  Mary, I don't know you, but what a wonderful person you are for suprising Jackie with the birthday party for Charlie!
Sue

Anonymous said...

You are welcome....I again thank you for sharing more of Charlie.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Jackie, you are an extraordinary person and obviously so was Charlie. I suspect this was not easy to move from sharing off line to on line. Powerful testimony of what LOVE can be!

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://journals.aol.com/daddyleer/CaregivinglyYours/
http://lairofcachalot.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute to Charlie my friend. You were an incredible loving mother. Charlie sounds like an absolute joy to have had in your life. Thank you for this, his story, his life continues to touch hearts. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

What bitter-sweet memories.  He was a remarkable character to endure so much and keep so up-beat.  Well, so are you.