Monday, November 19, 2007

Expectations Unlimited!

Today was our annual Invention Convention. This is where the kids are given an assignment to create something. Anything. We had 9 out of 22 kids participate. Not bad odds since it was better than last year. The winner was a CD Tower made out of a bed post. This same kid won first prize last year as well for a Wheelchair Keyboard Holder. His ideas are original and creative, but to look at him you would never expect it. Also, in addition to the CD tower, he made a poster of perimeters and greater than, less than!! I was so tickled because that is one of the things we have to cover according to the State Dept as it is passed down from our Federal Gov. thanks to No Child Left Behind where we will leave many behind.

Ooooppps... did I type that out loud??  Oh well, they know it.

Oh yeah, back to the inventions. We had a poster that showed prom fashions then (1987 & 1997) compared to now (2007). Another poster showed characters from 'Smallville' and another is one of the girl's favorite country music singers. We had a family tree, complete with pictures, and one girl made a scrapbook of her dogs from newborn until now. One boy made a couple of drawings of space crafts that will travel at mach speed.

Each kid had to give a presentation to explain their invention. I was very proud of each and every one of them! This just shows we should never underestimate even those we think of as mentally challenged. It never fails that they will always surprise you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup you just typed that :-).  I've found people who are challenged in one way often more than make up for it in another. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

There was a program this evening about Amanda Baggs, an autistic young lady that I've made entries about several times and whose you tube video can be found on my you tube site. I don't know if the program was a re-run (due to the writers' strike), but I'm happy that they addressed the subject again, albeit late. Lessons can be learned from everyone in life no matter how they are "assessed". Congratulations for your patience and hard work.

Jimmy
http://journal.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

I think they did very good. Very ingenious. I know it is a joy when they can accoumplish different things. Happy Thanksgiving Jackie. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

I never did quite get a full understanding of "No Child Left Behind."   I understand a lot of educators were quite unhappy with it for lacking of funding, among other things.   I'm impressed with these kids, though!  Wow!!
~Meg

Anonymous said...

I'm in agreement with Mary, about being challenged in some form and making up for it another. To me every life has worth and something to give if you will only take the time and patience to learn from them. Wonderful, creative bunch you have. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

It is a rare teacher that "leaves no child behind" by inspiring such work. I loved the idea of a 'wheelchair keyboard holder' now that is a kid who sees the bigger picture. Thank you for sharing.
... and Happy Thanksgiving wishes!
Patrick
http://caregivinglyyours.com/

Anonymous said...

How proud I would have been to have my students do such creative work.