Sunday, August 12, 2007

Left, Left, Left Right, Left!

A lot of my free time during the school season is spent online looking for items of interest for my classroom. We have curriculum standards to follow, but no curriculum... meaning, you might ask? It means I have to come up with it myself. This afternoon, I was looking at a calendar on an educational web site and found that tomorrow (August 13) is International Lefthanders Day.

You might ask why my interest? I am one of a small percentage of people. I am a lefty, a southpaw. I am one of the lucky ones. My mom didn't 'force' me to try to use my right hand. I have heard and read of horror stories about parents or teachers forcing their left-hander to use their right hand. Many lefties have to use tools made for right-handed people. I am also lucky because I am ambidextrous, you might say. A lot of tools, a hand-operated can opener, for instance, is made for a right handed person. However, I can use this tool without cutting off fingers,needing stitches, or wearing much of the canned contents. Of course, I try to avoid canned items as often as possible! Unfortunately, many left-handed people are not as fortunate.  Other problems for lefties, are school desks.  Just try taking notes in a desk made for right-hand people.

For a list of well-known lefties, Famous Left-Handers is here for your use.

And, even though many of us here in J-land 'know' each other, we don't really know each other. How many of you are lefties??  Leave a comment either way!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son is. He can do some things right handed like you can. We never tried to change his left handness either. Helen

Anonymous said...

I'm a righty.. :)  All my kids are righty's too...   I can't write with my left hand at all.  It's the worst chicken scratching you've ever seen.  I envy people who are ambidextrious...  :)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm a righty. I have heard that things tend to get hazardous for lefties from time to time. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I am right handed ~ I know of some of the draw backs for lefties ~ like trying to teach them to knit ~ one of my grandchildren is left handed he can do almost anything with his right hand except write :o) ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

how about international dog day ?

Anonymous said...

Great topic! I'm ambidextrous. I even play tetherball against myself to keep right and left in balance. Catholic Elementary School only allowed right handed writers. For us confused early writers, left hands were gently held or tied behind seats to improve our right handed focus. <grin> Over time I've become more or less fond of doing somethings right handed or left handed.
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Anonymous said...

Im a right handy! :)

Thank you very much for visiting my journal and leaving such a nice comment. I will put you on alert and be back to visit again.

Kirstie

Anonymous said...

Do you know how long it took me to learn how to spell ambidextrous? I am semi- ambi----- , in that I can clap, tie my shoes, put on my pants and other artistic things. In the bathroom, however, I must rely on my right hand for all things. I shudder to think about shaving left handed.

It's tough for me sometimes, never knowing my right foot from my left, my hand from my glove.. I just get downright misty thinking about it !

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely a righty, but one of my heroes, Babe Ruth, was a lefty, and the REAL home run king :)

Of course, I do have 2 left feet, so...

Anonymous said...

Right hander here, but my brother is a leftie.   I heard that all left handed folks at one time had a twin, or something to that effect.   Ever heard of that?
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Hi !!!!!!!!!!

I am a new visitor here. I thought I would come by and say hello. I too keep a journal titled "Dear Diary". Please feel free to drop in and say hello...here is my link ------> http://journals.aol.com/southernmush/DearDiary/

I have to tell you that I enjoyed reading your entries. I was looking through this entry and you talked about International Lefthanders Day. I am a left hander as you will come to read at the top of my journal page. The both of us are lefthanders so we have something in common.

I am so glad I found your journal. Its nice to meet you. Take care and thanks for allowing me to visit. Have a good evening.