Friday, July 6, 2007

Holy Cow! We have a bloom!

I just wanted to share a few pictures with you today. I couldn't believe I finally got a bloom from the sunflower seeds I planted. The seed package said mammoth sized. It is wrong.... I'd just call them, well, small. Even so, I'm glad to see they have finally decided to start popping out!

I had to go to Yuppieville to see the chiropractor this morning and on the way back home, I made this little picture of the Tennessee River as I drove over the big bridge on hwy, 65. It really doesn't show the magnitude of it. But hey, what do you expect when one is driving and making pictures at the same time??  <grin>

Dad came out to my house for 4th of July. After we ate, I tried to get him to go to a party I had been invited to, but he wouldn't go for it. He misses my Mom a lot (as do I), but he now has a lady friend. He keeps telling me no one will ever take my mom's place. I have to wonder who he is trying to convince??  I knew at some point he would find someone. I think sometimes, himself.....

The next two pictures are of projects the kids at school build and paint to help fund our classroom program. I love these two things I have. One is a butterfly house I had given to my mom for Mother's Day last year.  On the back, it says, 'You are my sunshine, my only sunshine'. One of my younger cousins used to sing that song to her when he was little. I found it sitting on the 'ready to sell' shelf and knew this would be something my Mom would get a kick out of.  The other is a blue bird house.

For all you non-bama folk  out there, War Eagle is Auburn University. Rival of Alabama University. When football season starts down here, everyone will already be looking forward to the Iron Bowl. Auburn has won it the last 5 years in a row.  This past year, we got the thumb!

WAR EAGLE!!

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you say ROLL TIDE?   Yes, that's what I thought you said!!      While riding in TN yesterday, we passed some very big and very beautiful sunflowers.   I wanted to get pics, but Ole Boy didn't think it was safe to stop on the highway, and didn't like the idea of pulling into a stranger's driveway for me to get out, focus, refocus, snap, refocus, snap...you get the idea.  
Bless your Dad's (and your) heart!     It's sweet that he found someone to keep him company...
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Your sunflower is beautiful, even if it is small. That TN river is really wide. I can see the making of a smile on your dad's face LOL. I am sure he gets lonely and it helps him to keep from doing that with a lady friend. Those two projects are beautiful. WAR EAGLE, Helen

Anonymous said...

love the pictures:) enjoy your weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

That chiropractor visit must have worked if you could drive take pictures at the same time and still stay on the bridge. <grin>
Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Anonymous said...

Oh man SUNFLOWER SEEDS! :)  and yep, I think the package might have been wrong, but there should be plenty of seeds in there for ya. I'm stuck buying mine packaged and salted :(

Hope you have a good weekend

Anonymous said...

Your Sunflower looks great ~ it may be small but very pretty ~ glad your Dad is seeing someone it is nice for him to have Company ~ Love the butterfly house and the bluebird house what a nice project to make some money to help the classroom funds ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Well, well, little Miss Sunshine...aren't we the Mrs Greensleeves. Ya did good ! The flowers will get larger as the plant grows. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that it flowered so soon. They need some height and strength to support the weight of the flower. I not sure how it's done, but you san salvage those seeds and plant them again, Or, if you've got salt,............

"You Are My Sunshine" is a sweet song.  It's the first song my parents taught us and we would sing that and a song called "Way Down In Columbus, Georgia" on our trips from Miami to our Uncle John's home in Birmingham. The we'd go to visit Aunt Veenie in Tuscaloosa.

BTW, Groucho Marx preferred to hunt elephants in Alabama, 'cause all the Tuscaloosa. <sorry, couldn't resist that hackneyed old joke>

Anonymous said...

Good going on the sunflower dear heart! Sometimes it depends on where they are planted they do great if it's somewhere that has sun continuously. I loved the birdhouses! As for your dad, everyone needs someone. It's ok to miss the one you loved, but our hearts are big enough to keep sharing ourselves with someone else.
(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed seeing sunflower, Dad, River and birdhouses. Sunflowers are interesting the way they turn during the day to follow the sun.  How can they tell?  Where do they keep their watches?
Dad looks old enough to be set in his ways, and young enough to set sail on the social seas.  Tough combination.  Hey, I have a shirt exactly like that, but it looks better on him...mine is size four extra large.
Kids did a great job on bird houses.  I have tried, and they are not nearly as attractive as yours.  Do the birds like those bright colors....I should think that would scare them...if the name War Eagle did not.
I looked for Burt Reynolds and the Deliverance canoe in the Tennessee River, but didn't see him.  (That was the Tennessee in Deliverance, was it not?)

Anonymous said...

Cool bird houses, cool daddy!  Hope you are feeling better, with the chiropractor's treatments.  Me, I'm good, enjoying the summer.  You do the same, Jackie.

Anonymous said...

Nothing compares with sporting rivalries. Worcester Warrior v Gloucester is the big one for me.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard