Sunday, April 8, 2007

This is rather morbid, I know....

Today, a friend asked if I wanted to drive to Yuppieville and do a bunch of errands. Sure, why not, I'm thinking. One of the places was to CostCo. I began to remember a time or two we had gone on Sunday and it was closed. I looked up their site online to get their phone number. And that's when I saw it. You'll never guess, so I'll just tell you. Costco sells caskets. Yes, they do. As well as urns and other burial memento items. You expect this kind of thing from eBay, you know?

Ok.... I began to think about this. They do have a selection that can be shipped 'overnight' and that I do understand. I even understand about buying an urn in advance because you can put it in a closet until you need it. But, can anyone tell me why someone would buy and pay a large amount of money for something they would have to store?  And then, I began having these little personal 'movies' I do sometimes where I imagine scenarios. For instance, someone buys a casket and 'stores' it in the garage. They decide to sell the house and there it sits. Do you really think that will help the sale of your house???  It also made me remember a story on the news a while back about a man who had killed his kids (and the kids through incest) and they found them in caskets in their house.... weird shit, you know?? 

If you have any ideas about this, please let me know.

Yes, this has been rather morbid.... considering the timing.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure wouldn't want a casket sitting around on my property, just waiting for me.   No, surely would not.    In fact, folks would think I was weird, and rightly so.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

I didn't know anyone stored caskets. All I have ever heard of is buying from a funeral home and leaving it there or maybe they order it when the time comes. I myself wouldn't want one lying around all the time. Helen

Anonymous said...

No way would I want a casket hanging around waiting for me ~ NO Definitely NO ~ Ally :o(

Anonymous said...

Total weirdness........You would have to definately be morbid to have a casket laying around. (Maybe a vampire). On second thought would you even want to go and shop at that store anymore knowing this???(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

A casket is weird.. an urn.. not so much.  We all have to die sometime, although people do prefer to NOT talk about it, or deal with it.  It's like "out of sight.. out of mind!"  Storing a coffin in the garage is just plain weird.  I don't shop at CostCo.. although we do have them out here in Cali.  I'm a WalMart, Target shopper, when I shop, which isn't very darn much! lol  God did not implant me with the shopper gene!  hee

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Curious thought...to have your casket stored.  Actually, Neptune society has a contract to cremate me...when the time comes.  They SAY they have my casket...of the cremateable kind, stored in a warehouse with my name on it...and an urn for my cremains.  I don't believe it, but they say it.

Actually, I will be surprized if they are around when my family needs them... I guess I won't be surprized actually, but I have pictured in my mind that I may oullive the society that I have contracted with.  They are supposed to cremate me, and scatter my ashes at sea.  

They asked if I wanted a ceremony or special song at my sea-burial.  I said no. They said family members are not allowed along on the scattering voyage...so who would know if they actually sang or not.  I am a bit cynical about these things.  

Anonymous said...

Weird indeed! All my mind could picture was QVC or some shopping network with hosts promoting the products and callers sharing their stories.
Patrick