Saturday, March 31, 2007

Role Play

As the sorrow eases of my mother's passing, I am finding myself playing a new family role. Funny, I never really thought about it before. Being the eldest and the closer in proximity, I have been silently placed into a position of authority---- decision maker for our little family in certain areas. The realization was apparent last night after receiving a phone call from both sister and father, one right after the other. Don't misunderstand... I love they are suddenly phoning more often.... it's just new. The conversations went kinda like this:

Sister: I almost phoned mother until i remembered, so i called you instead. I got your e-mails about 'this' and 'that'. It's fine with me that you do that.

AND

Daddy: Oh? You did those things? That's fine with me. BTW, add 'people' and 'person' to the list of  Thank You cards.

Suddenly, I am thinking I might have to mature.... just a little.... scary stuff.....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did post about your Mom in my journal but that was the day the alerts went out of whack so not many of my readers knew about it. I pray that you and your family are finding some peace. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

I believe your mothers is looking in on you and saying wonderful, I knew you had it in you all along. It's amazing how events in our lives lend us courage and wisdom we otherwise wouldn't of realized we had. I'm keeping you in my prayers on the smoke. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

The necessary 'busy work' of family does jump start time again and help recenter everyone. You WILL do fine, because it is about the love you put into it.
Patrick    

Anonymous said...

I understand this completely. I'm also the oldest, and since noone has ever accussed my mom of being a grown up, I became the one everyone was turning to when Dad passed. It's strange realizing that all of the sudden, I am the one that is responsible for certain things. I love that they are coming to me now, but it's hard to get used to the idea that it's my job to do this stuff now.
~Stephanie~

Anonymous said...

keeping you in prayer:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

It might be good for you to step into that role. I've seen families disintegrate once the Mom had passed. My Ex's family lost their Mom, but my Ex took over the role of "Matriarch" and 12 years later, they're still fairly tight-knit. I hope that it works out that way for you.

I think continuing Mom's "Role" might be a fitting tribute. I hope you're doing ok.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my journal. Happy Birthday ! As it turns out, I, too have been in the same situation (twice) and me being the oldest of three children, I understand your thoughts completely. You'll be fine ! Remember that we're never given more than we can handle.

I've got family in Birmingham and Tuscaloosa (that's where I hunt elephants because in that area all the elephant's Tuscaloosa).

I used to be involved in auto racing and spent many a Sunday at Birmingham Internayional Speedway watching Red Farmer, Bobby and Donnie Allison and many more.

Jimmy
http://journals.aol.com/jimsulliv3/jimmys-journal/

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's part and parcel of that event in life. Wishing you strength in the days and weeks to come

Anonymous said...

That "maturing" thing will scare you everytime....that is, until you figure out you had the strength all along to do the things you suddenly find yourself in the position of doing.    I know you will be just fine.    God is with you.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Jackie the strong one..   Must be the name.  I was always the strong one too...

Hugs
Jackie