Saturday, January 13, 2007

Last night, my phone rang. And the conversation went a little like this:

"Hello?"

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Nothing much, checking e-mail, reading journals. You?"

"Just dropped Ma and Pa off. I'm on my way home. Can you come over? And maybe bring some clothes in case you need to spend the night? Do you have any plans?"

"I'll throw some things in a bag and be over ASAP"

"How long?"

"An hour, give or take..."

"ok. Thanks."

Sounds like a fun little romp, huh?  Wrong. I had been expecting this call all week.

One of my very best friends brother passed away this past week from a rare cancer that spread to his brain. Some how. Nothing had been showing up in the blood work and then 'boom!' he had a seizure one day. Yeah, that'll do it. 

Friday was the funeral and it was about 150ish miles away. The parents (in their 80's) were (and still are) in that numbing shock mode.

I went over. 'Friend' was not doing well about older brother. 'Friend' had not slept for a few nights and needed someone there just because.  Just 'cause, that's what friends do for each other.  When I lost Charlie, this same friend was there for me.  Now, it was my turn....  Sometimes, paybacks are ok.... 

We sat up until 3:00 this morning, talking and crying.  'Pa' phoned around 8:30. Pa just checking on friend. That's ok. We went over to see 'Pa' and 'Ma'.... 'Pa' looked at me and started crying. As I hugged him, he whispered to me, "You know all about this stuff, girl..."  'Ma' did the same thing.  Yeah, I do.....

Notto worry...

some how, some way, it all gets easier with time.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know what to expect when I was reading about the conversation in regards to the phone call, but, I honestly wasn't expecting for it to be what it turned out to be.

You're right, sometimes paybacks can be a good thing..

Sorry about your friends loss..   Good thing she has a friend like you to count on.. I'm caring for my brother right now, and he is currently on hospice.  Life is so fleeting, isn't it?

God Bless...
Jackie

Anonymous said...

You know how to be a friend. Just being there was what it took, and understanding.  Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Paybacks like this are more like investments. For all the wonders of this Internet, humans are still invaluable to each other.
Patrick