Friday, January 26, 2007

A Different Kind of Dribble

We started our Special Olympic basketball season this past Wednesday. Prior to this date, I started a unit about basketball and some of the better known players.  One of the sections included the invention of basketball.  I think you should test your skills. Answers on a later entry!!

1. Who invented basketball?

2.  How many players were on a team in the orginal game?

3.  What were used as goals when the game was first invented?

4.  What kind of ball was first used when the game was invented?

5.  What year was basketball invented?

6. What did the janitor has to do after each goal?

Write your answers in the comment section if you'd like.  We'll check to see who knows their basketball history!!

Thanks for playing!!

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Jackie.. I don't know a darn thing about basketball! :(  It would take me forever and a day to research the answers!

Are those the Harlem Globetrotters?  That was a great video!

Hugs
From the "other" Jackie  :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Other Jackie!! No, not Harlem Globetrotters.... really cool, though, hun??  
This Jackie.... <grin>

Anonymous said...

In another life, and another century, I visited the Basketball Hall of Fame, not because I intended to but because I happened to be visiting Springfield, MA and beyond the Mark Twain Museum there are limited "must see" places to check out. Dusting off that visit (and without trying the Internet) at best I can take a stab at two of your questions. I think I remember that some midwest doctor named Naismith (?) "invented" basketball, and I think he used wooden baskets (like farmers use for apples) for goals in the first games. ... As soon as you asked about "the janitor" I cannot get the image of the "the janitor" character from TV show "Scrubs" out of my head. <grin>
Patrick    http://journals.aol.com/daddyleer/CaregivinglyYours/

Anonymous said...

Wonderful video.  My guesses  (1) Naismith -(I have a US postage stamp with basketball on it..)(2) guessing six (3) bushel baskets (4) guessing soccer ball (5) guessing 1895 (6) had to clumb a ladder and get the ball down

Anonymous said...

Hey Jackie, you've got some really smart friends!  I'm impressed!  These comments are from Jackie's friend, who subbed for her and administered this basketball quiz to her students!  Way to go Jackie's friends!