Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Rocket City Stuff

I grew up in a rather technological city and lived there until about 8 years ago.  It is a world filled with engineers, rocket scientists, space 'stuff' all around.  In Huntsville, there is the Space and Rocket Center. It's just like anything, after awhile you become immune to it.   How often do you drive down the highway and see a real Saturn 5?  For me? Often!  It never ceases to amaze me at the beauty of it.... 

I often wondered how these guys came up with the right combination of everything it took to get the first rocket into space!  Do any of you remember getting up early in the morning to watch the 'lift-off'?  My mom would wake me up and we would watch it while we ate breakfast.  Even though the rockets would lift-off  in FL, I think most of the Huntsvillians took a lot of ownership and pride in the successful missions, especially back then in the early 60's. 

Today, we take so much of this for granted. The shuttle missions are all very common and unassuming in today's society.  What most people don't realize is the good works these missions actually do.   For a quick glance, check this out!  http://www.thespaceplace.com/shuttle/past.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree it is taken for granted. A couple years ago on a trip to Florida I was finally able to convince my daughter then 15 that we should include to the Kennedy Space Center. I was like a kid in Disneyland, she tolerated me. <grin> To her generation there always was a space program. I'm old enough to remember time standing still with every launch and re-entry. ... Huntsville and Houston are other wish list places, maybe one day?
Patrick

Anonymous said...

I hear you -- Neil Armstrong is still my hero!

Thanks for the link.  I have bookmarked it and will be going there are a lot.  It's a shame nowadays that kids don't look to the space program with the same wonder.  Now it's all about bling.

Excellent post, Jackie.

Abe