Thursday, November 9, 2006

Each year our school hosts a Veteran's Day service and it is always tremendous! Veterans from past wars receive tokens of appreciation for their service. The school band plays patriotic music, the choir sings songs,poems are read, and today, one of the ROTC kids did a fine demonstration of  rifle 'tossing' (I know there is another name for it, but I have no clue what it is). 

I usually end up shedding a few tears.  Last year, I shed a lot of tears because a mom and sister of a graduate of our school attended.  They accepted a plaque honoring him. He had died in Iraq just a few months before. You could tell they were still in shock from his death.  This year, they did not attend.

I did ok until one of the ROTC kids read a poem I thought I would share with you, but I can't find it online. She may have written it, who knows.  It had a few lines like "If you participate in church, don't thank a minister, thank a veteran.  If you enjoy free assembly, don't thank a peace activist, thank a veteran...."  And the list goes on.

And then 'Taps'.  Always a tear jerker for me. I made it through ok. 

And then, they retired the flags, American, Alabama and then, I saw it. I had not noticed it before. The tears came to the surface and I couldn't hold them back any longer.  It was the POW-MIA flag.  It did me in. I started thinking about all the guys that went to Nam and were held. Although I was just a kid, I remember seeing the war on TV each night.  I remember seeing some of the POW's come home and the relief on the faces of the family while they ran to greet them.

No matter what your belief is for Korean Police Action, Viet Nam or the current war in Iraq, you need to remember the need for these guys to do what they think is the right thing to do. To serve as their country has demanded.  Isn't that what has been done since the Revolutionary War?  Can you imagine living during those times when America wasn't even established and going to war against everything you know? If it were not for those guys, we would not be what we are today. 

So, for everyone that has served in any type of service, put your life on the line as duty for this country, I thank you. 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully shared! I particularly noticed your observation about living in those Revolutionary War times. Every time I drive over the Delaware River from Pennsylvania to New Jersey I can't help but glance up river (especially in the frozen winter time) and be in awe of the courage and belief in an idea that drove them to sacrifice everything and cross that river to Trenton and change history.
Patrick

Anonymous said...

This entry is a great tribute, Jackie... everyone knows a veteran, and if not, you are sure to run into one at the grocery store handing out poppy flowers for a donation. I say give. And say thank you! I save the poppy flower and add it to the frame of my father's photograph... he was a veteran of 20 years, and had served over a year in Viet Nam during the latter part of that war, when I was a teen. I've been away too long from reading your journal, Jackie, my teacher friend. I've browsed through your recent entries today, and chuckled and grinned at your classroom stories. Loved the video, and the new color and design of your features. Have a good week! Bea