Tuesday, October 3, 2006

My Fixation with Helicopters: The Beginning

Helicopters

I will never forget the moment I fell in love with helicopters. It was in  August, 1982 and I was about 4 months pregnant when my ex and I took my ex-sister in law back up to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. I remember we were admitted at the gate and then all of a sudden there were probably about 100 Chinooks on the tarmac!  Their image against the sky was breath-taking!! I remember watching them until I couldn't see them anymore (meanwhile, the ex- was jealous because he thought i was looking at another guy, of course! He could not believe it was about the helicopters.  He was such an idiot!... probably still is...).  I was hypnotized by their magnificent forms against the afternoon sky, looking majestic and ready for battle! 

BTW: Semper FI !! 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel about Blimps the way you feel about helicopters.  Also have a fascination with Ercoupes, little two place monoplanes built in the forties.  I used to own one and fly it regularly.  Can pass an airport without stopping to see if any Ercoupes are parked there.