Sunday, February 5, 2006

In the Heat of the Night

Today is Super Bowl Sunday as most of you know.  People are getting their dips and chips, ribs, wings, pizza, sodas and beer together to watch the largest viewed football game of the year. 

I have always looked forward to Super Bowl Sunday myself.  Although I might tune into the game at different points, I usually look at the schedule and see what else is on.  Usually, Ted Turner has had the forethought to run classic tv shows to celebrate SBS. (Yes, I can hear your groans.....)  In the past, it was the Andy Griffith show, Matlock, or some other southern-turned tv show.  And we would watch.

We= my son, Charlie, and I.  He was a lover of those shows and since he rarely asked for anything, we watched them.  His favorite was Andy Griffith show.  I swear, I have seen every episode ever made, including the last season where they were in color. 

Charlie was a late bloomer when it came to speech and verbal expression.  One of the best things about watching these shows gave him a vocal outlet.  When he became nervous about a situation, he would list the characters of one of the shows and I would have to repeat them.  The more nervous he became, the louder the names. 

This year for SBS, it's 'In the Heat of the Night.'  I will watch and have sweet memories of a child who asked for very little, but could list every character because he loved them.  Sometimes, there is nothing like watching Bubba run down the bad guys....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are sweet memories... you have the best reason to watch tv when the classics are on. I know you miss your boy, and this is one way to keep those memories alive. You made another point, too, that watching tv helps children develop their verbal expression. I can tell what kinds of shows kids watch by listening to their talk. I can tell if they've been around adults who enjoy healthy conversation around the dinner table. It all shows up in the classroom! You know what I mean. I had a student once who only spoke in dialogue, reciting from movies he had watched over and over again. He was mentally challenged, but he had a memory for dialogue and music that was incredible. He would respond to frustration or happiness by speaking, in character, with the character's voice. If we didn't recognize the character, he would smile and tell us who it was. What he learned by doing this was to construct his own sentences and phrases, and to speak in a melodic manner... he was very expressive with his voice. He was in the 5th grade then. Thanks for sharing your story. Bea