Sunday, July 24, 2005

John Hockenberry

Reading the Sunday newspaper has always been one of my favorite things to read.  Inside the paper you will always find lots of ads, various local inserts, the comics and one of my favorites, the Parade.  It's a magazine that includes more ads, but usually the cover story is one of interest.  This week, the cover story is about John Hockenberry. 

Mr. Hockenberry has been on my list of favorite people for many years.  I've seen him on television, heard him on the radio and read a book or two by him.  He is someone for which I have great admiration.  Why?  He has pulled himself out of a rather tragic circumstance that occurred as a teenager, only to make great strides  in a career and family life (probably not in that order..).  You see, Mr. Hockenberry is a paraplegic. Yet, he has traveled overseas to countries that were in the midst of turmoil and reported stories without or very little harm to himself.  This isn't why I admire him so.  It is due to taking a tragic circumstance, and not wallowing in self-pity.  Oh, I'm sure he had plenty of self-pity!  But, he didn't allow himself to become mired in it for the rest of his life. 

I have often wondered if I were in the same situation what type of person I would become. I don't think I can answer that until I have rolled in another person's trail!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're firing up the journal again.  You're a bit of an inspiration yourself.  You get kicked in the teeth in one relationship, but you're ready to get back in the saddle and try again.  That is a mixed metaphor, I know, but what are metaphors for but to mix and match?