Saturday, January 26, 2008

Yes Virginia, there is still life in Bama...

It's been cold here in Alabama these past couple of weeks. Thursday, I woke to 13 degrees. Last night on the way home, it began to sleet. When I was leaving to come home, I could see it pinging on the pavement and when I got home, ice had begun to form on my outside mirrors.

This past Monday night, I got a phone call from my dad. Apparently, he fell asleep while driving home from his girlfriend's house on Sunday night. Seems that he crashed into a pole, but he was not hurt. I saw the truck today.... yep, he crashed it... Dad, me and a friend of mine all went to eat whatever the meal is called between lunch time and supper. (Is there a word for it like there is for Brunch?)  Dad and friend had chat about driving. Dad said he wasn't going to stop driving at night. Any suggestions on how to handle this one? I mean, I don't really care about crashing cars or trucks, but I do worry about him and other people getting hurt. I would hate to have to go all "TaWanda" on him (Fried Green Tomatoes). I made a couple of suggestions to him, but he seemed rather uninterested in hearing them. The suggestions were just short of taking his keys. I am afraid that might be next.

I'm afraid I have gotten back logged on reading everyone's journals because of issues such as this and a couple of other things. There are just times, when I become overloaded......

Other than issues like that, everything is going rather smoothly. School is bopping right along with no wild incidents.... yet (you know this stuff can change at a moments notice). It won't be long before it will be time to have our yearly meetings (IEP's) with parents. I'll be busy with those. Maybe they will help keep me out of trouble.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

brunch is combo breakfast/lunch...  between lunch and dinner... snack?  LOL  
My Dad just recently gave up driving and night, and believe me it is better that way.  I hope your Dad sees the light soon.  No idea how to do it other then to take the keys...  
hugs
d

Anonymous said...

It might take a few tries, but your Dad might cooperate eventually. Pop finally relinquished his keys after he ran off the road, too. Keep at it.

Good to see you. Be safe and stay warm now!

Anonymous said...

Lupper?    I can't hardly think so!  lol
So....Dad fell asleep, but it didn't scare him enough to stop driving, but maybe it scared him enough to be more careful?   I can see where you'd be concerned, and it's hard to know what to do, isn't it?   Could you get a doctor to talk to him, or evaluate the situation?   I understand Doctors can also yank licenses if they think it's necessary.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad's accident.  Yes, his doctor can take away his license, we almost went that route with my mother-in-law, who at 89 thinks she's still quite capable of driving.  And believe you me...she's NOT, day or night!  It's really hard for them to give up their independence, which IS understandable.  I hope that he will realize he needs to make some changes...good luck with it.  (I'm holding out for my m-i-l's drivers license to expire...only 1 more year.....YIKES!)

Anonymous said...

I am your Dad's age.  I hardly ever drive, but when I do, I do so VERY carefully.  Last time I went it upset my daughter some, I am sure.  But she hasn;t suggested my giving up my car...yet.
  I know how I would feel.  LOst.  But don;t YOU do it.  If it  is a serious problem, others willl convince him.  Just be supportive.  If he wrecks anothe car, help him find a third...a nice safe one, like a Volvo or something.  
  If he wants to risk his life, it is because he considers it HIS life to risk.  I know that is hard to take, but grit your teeth, steel your nerves, and cheer him on.

Anonymous said...

Glad to her your Dad's ok - Those poles in Alabama have a knack for getting in the way.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

The weather is wocky lately! It's the only thing I can think to describe it. It's not snowing in NY it's raining, a thunderstorm to be precise....Did we skip Feb. by some luck or something? Sorry to hear about your Dad's accident. Glad he wasn't hurt....Parents are so stubborn at that age. The only thing I can think of is, what would he do to you when you were younger if you hit a pole at night? The role reversal kind of plays that hand. (Hugs) Indigo