Thursday, May 10, 2007

And then she said....

This past Tuesday night was school system board meeting to approve staff renewals, retirements, transfers, etc.  This was also the night they approve third year teachers for tenure. That is where I fall into. This morning at school I receive a phone call....

Caller: "YOU KNOW THIS IS JUST Temporary, DON'T YOU !!!????!!!!????!!??!  YOU'LL BE BACK IN AUGUST... THEY CAN'T JUST DO THIS!!!!!!"

Me: (puzzled) "I don't know what you are talking about..."

Caller: "THEY CAN'T DO THIS TO YOU AND DANIEL!!!"

Me: (finally recognizing my friend, Sue) "Sue, I don't have a clue what you mean...."

Sue: "Haven't you read the paper???" (she was just a little calmer now...)

Me: "You must be joking... no, I've not read it... what's going on???"

Sue: "You and Daniel were not renewed for tenure!!!!"

Me: "WHAT?????????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN??  WE DIDN'T GET PINK SLIPS LAST WEEK??  WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? WHAT PAPER IS THAT?  I TOOK ALL THE REQUIRED CLASSES AND GOT MY SECONDARY CERTIFICATION!!  I DID EVERYTHING I'M SUPPOSED TO DO?? THEY DID NOT RENEW ME??"

Sue: "Let me read it to you:  These people from MY SCHOOL were not rehired: blah blah blah.... and then it says, blah blah, blah..... OH NO. Jackie, I am so sorry..."

ME: "I CAN'T BELEIVE THIS!"

Sue: I'm really sorry, Jackie... I read it wrong... JACKIE!!" (by this time, I have gotten hysterically angry and was crying... it seemed the stress of the last few months just caved in on me)

Me: "I DID EVERYTHING THEY ASKED ME TO DO!! "

Sue: "Jackie.... listen... I read it wrong... You and Daniel both are renewed and tenured!"

Jackie: "what?" (squeaky voice)

Sue: "I read it wrong... I feel so badly. I am so truly sorry!! I just read it really fast and didn't see the break in the fired and renewed."

Me: "Did you take your ADHD meds this morning?"

Later in the day, I get an e-mail telling me she really feels so badly about it all, along with a PS... She said I was a master at pushing the guilt thing! hehe   Later, at the end of the school day, she rushes into my classroom with a bag filled with all kinds of goodies! When I got home, I had an e-mail that she still feels badly about it all.  I told her I'm not mad.... but she can read my journal tonight!!  hehehe

Paybacks.... aren't they sweet???   Love ya, Sue.... Don't feel badly anymore!!

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew!!!!     Kick Sue in the shin for me.
~Meg

Anonymous said...

Souds like my daughter's hairdresser calling her at school yesterday and saying how sorry she was but that her check had bounced. Wanting her to send her another one. My daughter was sooo upset wondering what went wrong because the mony was in the bank to cover it. She was afraid someone got into her account and got her money. A few hours later the lady calls back and says"I am so sorry, what I got was a notification that I had failed to list your check and they were giving me credit for it anyway". Helen

Anonymous said...

Oh man!  I can see how that would have freaked you out beyond belief!  I'm so glad that your friend read it wrong!  

Cute video!  What were they singing, "Piggy back, pay back?"  lol  

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

Talk about a roller coaster of a ride for a days events! Cute video! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was only trying to help my dear friend...I was ready to go to the mat for her and her teaching partner!  Give me a break guys!
And believe me, I've sucked up enough for a month of mistakes!!!