Saturday, January 21, 2006

To wine or not to wine

First of all, a disclaimer:  I'm not a wine expert as you will see.

A friend and I went to the local, yet not close, Sam's Club tonight.  This is a new one and I had never been there, so we just browsed around the aisles.  Even though you may have been several times, it just seems that the newer the store, the more different the merchandise.  Anyway, I digress.....

There before us were probably a couple hundred various wines.  Just as interesting as some of the names (Toad Hollow is just one brand name...) is the vast range of prices.  The prices range from a jug (yes, jug) that is priced from just under $4 to $134.  I know there are more expensive wines in the world, but when I think about 'borrowing' a drink of something as costly as even $134 I have to wonder if it is worth it.  I think before I dropped that kind of money, I'd have to have a taste test.  Funny, I've seen those sample folk giving out fried cheese, frozen pizza and chips and salsa.  I've never seen them pass out samples of something so expensive as wine.  Although I know they can't, doesn't it make sense?  If you had a case or several of a pricey something, wouldn't you want to do everything you can to sell it?  I just wonder just how much better or different is it than the $4 jug? 

As stated in the disclaimer, I am not an expert..      

Champagne__Glasses_1tn_.jpg 2.7K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

  Red Rock Winery near here has a regular wine tasting.... you get a wine glass and a sample of three of their six varieties.  Three samples were enough to make me tipsy, but I was just a passenger in the bus, so no problem.  Of course, after the samples, you usually buy a bottle or two.  And  I still have the glass.
  Never had any $134 wine though.  I wonder if it is really that great.

Anonymous said...

Sam Club. whow working part -time should;nt you be shopping at the SALVATION ARMY ? lol I like the way Educators chose their words , A week off they call it a recess ? In the private sector they call it a vacation, then again the private sector is not off all summer .