Monday, October 17, 2005

Banjos

      There are so many things I could blog about.  I could put my two cents worth in about the war in Iraq, the devastation of Katrina, the earthquake in India/Pakistan as well as about a million and one-half other things that is happening all over the world.  

      However, today I feel the need to share with you my opinion about banjos.  Yes, I grew up in the South (Bama, did you guess it??) and have heard all kinds of music in my life.  When in high school about 29 years ago, my preference was rock and roll.... Various forms....   I hated country music!!  About three or four years ago, I volunteered to work at a food stand for an organization during the local popular Fiddler's Convention.  You just don't know how  much I knew I would hate it!!  Little did I realize, I had grown 'outside the box' when it comes to music.  Or was it because it was live?  I dunno....  Here's the killer part.... I fell in love with banjos and fiddles!!  The fiddle was the instrument of choice for my great-grandfather, but NO ONE has ever played the banjo!!  I love it!!  It is such a happy sound!  Who doesn't smile, just a little when you hear 'Dueling Banjos' or 'Rocky Top'??  That's my favorite instrument at this moment....

     Now, what's yours?? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grand father left his banjo to me.  I never learned to play it, gave it to my daughter.  She picked at it a bit, and gave to her son who plays any stringed instrument. So now he has great, great grandfather's banjo.  I wonder if he appreciates it.

Anonymous said...

What's the difference between a banjo and an onion? Nobody cries when you chop up a banjo ;).

I doi enjoy the banjo, and I am particularly fond of folk songs from the mid-19th century.

As for my favorite current instrument, I am going to have to go with the piano. I've always wanted to play and it can convey such emotion. It's a very passionate instrument!
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage