Monday, April 21, 2008

It's been a while. I've missed keeping in touch with all of you guys. The last couple of weeks have been busy and loaded with fun.... not!!  Until this past weekend, that is!!

I hopped onto a puddle-jumper for Atlanta Friday morning, then onto a real airplane down to St. Augustine, FL, aka, 'The Oldest City in the US'. Founded by Ponce de Leon in 1513 at the location of stop 19 on your historic guided tour of the city, aka, "Fountain of Youth - North America's First Historical Site." That stop, along with seeing the oldest school house in America, was probably my favorite. The 'Fountain' area seemed rather scared to me as the guide told the story of the cross being discovered by a grounds keeper as he was in the process of digging to plant. Also marked was the area where Ponce took his first steps onto what he thought was an island. Truly an area to visit if you are moved by this type of thing.  Also, on the tour, visitors are given a drink from the FOY. I didn't take any chances... I drank mine!

BTW, a note about the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse: St. Augustine, Florida.  It is smaller than my 13 x 15 'ish living room, complete with the upstairs for the head master and family to live. The kitchen is seperate from the school house becuase of the heat of cooking. What was used for 'time-out' in those days was a small area under the stairs leading to the living quarters. They called it 'The Dungeon'.... 

I fell into bed around midnight thirty last night, thankful I had the foresight to take today off. Yard mowing was on the agenda, as was the never-ending laundry list. Where is the technology of George Jetson (and his boy, LeRoy..) when you need it?  Heck, doesn't matter... I'll take now verus 1513 anytime!!

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

would like to read  this, but the small print and purple and pink print make it impossible--sorry

Anonymous said...

Personally, I like the colors, but that's just me. Did you think of getting an eyedropper's worth of the FOY to send to me?

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for those links loved the oldest school house picture I would love to visit there maybe one day I will ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

What a great trip.  You SOUND rejuvenated and younger anyway

Anonymous said...

What a great trip! If I had known you were away I would have flown down to mow your lawn <grin>. I SWEAR by that drink from the Fountain of Youth! On my 30th Birthday (long, long ago) I rented a Pontiac Firebird (Smokey & the Bandit style) and drove the back roads of the South to St. Augustine just to drink and drink and drink from the Fountain of Youth. <grin>

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://journals.aol.com/daddyleer/CaregivinglyYours/

http://lairofcachalot.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I've been to the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse.  My sister has lived in St. Augustine for 30+ years and is an elementary school teacher there.  I love to visit the city, but wouldn't want to live there.  Hope you are well.
Lori

Anonymous said...

obama says, "i did not know that man, rev. wright."

Anonymous said...

bama, obama was generalizing about small towners. that might considered a bigoted statement.

but even if it's true it was not wise for him to say that. showed poor judgment.

and i do think the problem is pro-israel voters in new york and florida. jews were treated relatively well in the middle east until zionist terrorists stole the land of the pals. they were treated better by the arabs than they were treated by the europeans.

when has america not been at war?

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Glad to come along and read about your good time. I've made two attempts to get to St. Augustine, and haven't quite made it there for one reason or another.

Hope you got some rest :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back....sounds like it was a very nice trip.
~Meg