Saturday, April 29, 2006

Zippo's

This morning I woke rather early but didn't want to get out of bed just yet.  I turned on the television to Turner South.  Saturday brings out the movies on TS and this morning was no exception.  "Out of Africa" was on.  I've never been able to sit through that movie without falling asleep.  When I woke again, the credits were rolling.  Next on was "Bridges of Madison County," a real chick-flick.  That's cool.  I rarely see the beginning of this movie, so I decide to watch the part where the kids find out about their mom's 4 days and her conflict with life....... watching....... then to the flashback......  Robert asks mom about the bridges......she rides along with him to the bridge......Robert reaches into the glove box and pulls out a pack of Camels... offers her one and then he lights it for her.  He is using a Zippo.  Typical for the time era.  He flicks it open and rolls his thumb down the igniter and the flame springs up.  (Now, here is where you might think it's a little weird)  I could smell it.  If you have ever been around anyone who has used one of those lighters (I never have used one or had one), you know what I mean.  It smells of the lighter fluid used to fill the chamber.  What about you?  Have you ever watched a movie or tv show and could smell or taste something they are using? 

BTW, did you know the design of the Zippo lighter has unchanged in more than 70 years??  Just another perfect design!! 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite right about the design.  Sure reliable.  In WWII they worked just as well with gasolene too.  Talk about charactaristic smell....a Zippo with aviation fuel is one.

Anonymous said...

The zippo is something that I too can smell right away, even if seeing it. My father used it to smoke for at least 30 - 35 years. Bad habit for him, I know, but still one he .... enjoys.
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage