Sunday, September 11, 2005

Bands, music and fried bread!

Last night my Mom, sister and I went to the high school where I teach for the 'Night of Bands'.  What a show!!  All the county high school bands come together and each band plays 2-5 songs.  It begins with the smallest band (36 band members, plus color guard), to the largest in the county (225+ band members, plus color guard) and it ended with a university band.  What an experience!! 

The music was mostly from the 60's and 70's (Radar Love, Desperado, Vehicle, School's Out, American Woman, Georgia on My Mind.....).  Those kids performed!  They played, they moved, they played their hearts out!!   I think when we go to the ball games and the band plays for about 10 minutes, we take it for granted.  Even though we enjoy the performance, I don't think we realize how much work and practice these kids put into these shows. 

And of course, the food.  There is always food at these things!!  As I sat there eating my funnel cake, it occurred to me there is nothing like sitting in the middle of a bunch of people that are talking, watching their kid playing AND THEN, to be able to eat fried bread with powdered sugar on top!!  Now, THAT is a real treat!!! 

P.S.: If you get an opportunity to hear your local kids perform, GO!!  It's worth the show!  And then, let them know how much you enjoyed it!  They are never told enough!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My family made fun of me because I went to a Drum Line competition, and cried.
Well, I was MOVED. I was right by the parade route into the stadium, and the first unit started with a huge, multiple cymbals crash, right beside me.  I was startled, and then entranced for the whole rest of the session. Band music is stirring.
  It is ALL great, from five horns playing Louie Louie to quadruple bands playing America the Beautiful